Purpose: The National STEM Honor Society™ (NSTEM™) aims to assist and support high school educators in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) by providing a means to recognize students for their exceptional performance in STEM curriculum and activities. In addition, NSTEM helps keep students engaged by offering interesting and challenging projects for students outside the classroom.
- Exclusive and secure access to an easy-to-use, web-based collection of tools that will help the Chapter Advisor develop and manage their chapter and members, and make the most of chapter membership. This Advisor Dashboard will include:
- A diverse and curated library of STEM related resources including conferences, awards, scholarships, curricula, fun and engaging projects, and more
- Guidance for chapter success including useful tips, fundraising ideas, and a chapter timeline
- Sample chapter bylaws to assist you in drafting bylaws for your chapter
- Presentation to introduce NSTEM to students, parents, teachers, and administrators
- NSTEM chapter certificate and welcome letter to demonstrate your chapter designation
- An opportunity for the student/chapter to compete for the NSTEM Advisor/Chapter STEM Champion Award and the NSTEM Student-Led Project STEM Champion Award
- An opportunity for the student to apply for NSTEM’s Extracurricular Activity Scholarship which assists those in financial need to attend a STEM extracurricular activity
- For high school seniors, an opportunity to apply for NSTEM’s College/University Scholarship which assists those in financial need to attend a college/university to pursue studies in STEM
- Resources to increase the ability of educators to teach STEM topics
- A periodic newsletter packed with regional and national information on program and leadership opportunities relevant to NSTEM chapters and students
- Opportunities to engage underrepresented youth to participate in STEM disciplines
- Recognition of students specifically for STEM achievement in project-based learning and leadership development
- Encouragement of mutually beneficial collaboration among students, schools, communities and businesses to build a culture of STEM awareness and literacy
- An online storeopens in a new tab for customizable marketing materials to promote your chapter and specialized NSTEM merchandise to ensure that your members look sharp
Eligibility requirements for high school members:
NSTEM has established minimum eligibility requirements for student members. The local chapters may increase those requirements if they wish. So consider whether your local chapter wishes to increase and/or add to the NSTEM minimum requirements. Please note that a local chapter may not impose minimum grades or requirements in non-STEM subjects.
A student who has not yet completed the required number of hours of academic curriculum or enrichment activities can join NSTEM as a provisional member for one year. This will allow them to be a member of NSTEM while completing their hours.
Click here for NSTEM’s minimum eligibility requirements for high school school members.