Purpose: The National STEM Honor Society™ (NSTEM™) assists and supports college/university educators in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) by providing a collaborative forum and community of fellow NSTEM advisors, a website full of easily accessible and valuable STEM resources, and straight-forward requirements and membership enrollment. As you work to encourage students throughout the year, we help you keep them engaged by offering specialized recognition for student commitment and hard work in STEM.
- Exclusive and secure access to an easy-to-use, web-based collection of tools that will help the Chapter Advisor develop and manage their chapter and members, and make the most of chapter membership. This Advisor Dashboard will include:
- A diverse and curated library of STEM related resources including conferences, awards, scholarships, curricula, fun and engaging projects, and more
- Guidance for chapter success including useful tips, fundraising ideas, and a chapter timeline; and
- Sample chapter bylaws to assist you in drafting bylaws for your chapter
- Presentation to introduce NSTEM to students, teachers, and administrators
- NSTEM chapter certificate and welcome letter to demonstrate your chapter designation
- An opportunity for the student/chapter to compete for the NSTEM Advisor/Chapter STEM Champion Award and the NSTEM Student-Led Project STEM Champion Award
- An opportunity for the student to apply for NSTEM’s Extracurricular Activity Scholarship which assists those in financial need to attend a STEM extracurricular activity
- An online storeopens in a new tab for customizable marketing materials to promote your chapter and specialized NSTEM merchandise
- Programs and curriculum to increase the ability of educators to teach STEM topics
- A periodic newsletter packed with regional and national information on program and leadership opportunities relevant to NSTEM chapters and students
- Opportunities to engage underrepresented students in STEM disciplines
- Recognition of students specifically for STEM achievement in project-based learning and leadership development
- Encouragement of mutually beneficial collaboration among students, schools, communities and businesses to build a culture of STEM awareness and literacy
Eligibility requirements for college/university members:
NSTEM has established minimum eligibility requirements for student members. The local chapters may increase those requirements if they wish. So consider whether your local chapter wishes to increase and/or add to the NSTEM minimum requirements. Please note that a local chapter may not impose minimum grades or requirements in non-STEM subjects.
A student who has not yet completed the required number of hours of academic curriculum or enrichment activities can join NSTEM as a provisional member for one year. This will allow the student to be a member of NSTEM while completing their hours.
Click here for the minimum requirements established by NSTEM for college/university students.