The National STEM Honor Society™ (NSTEM™) recognizes students who have a passion for and excel in STEM disciplines. At the college/university level, NSTEM encourages members to pursue studies and activities that will lead to a career in STEM. An NSTEM chapter at your university/college may influence students interested in STEM when making their application and enrollment decisions.
College/University Members will:
- Take on leadership roles while getting real world experience by leading fundraising and community events, organizing and managing projects, and interacting with local business leaders
- Be recognized for participation in STEM enrichment activities, such as jobs and internships, giving a lecture, or attending/participating in STEM-related conferences
- Have the opportunity for the student/chapter to compete for the NSTEM Advisor/Chapter STEM Champion Award and the NSTEM Student-Led Project STEM Champion Award
- Have the opportunity to apply for NSTEM’s Extracurricular Activity Scholarship which assists those in financial need to attend a STEM extracurricular activity
- Be members of a collaborative, STEM-focused honor society with other students that have similar passions
- Have the opportunity to submit their projects to NSTEM for a chance to be chosen and awarded a spotlight feature in the NSTEM Newsletter that is sent to all NSTEM members
- Have access to the NSTEM online merchandise storeopens in a new tab
Your school will:
- Motivate students to reach their full academic potential in STEM subjects
- Become a desired school for STEM inclined students based on the unique role of NSTEM as a STEM honor society
- Inspire an interest in STEM subjects
- Gain recognition for STEM teacher and student achievement
How the program works:
- Membership fees are paid through credit card, check or Purchase Orders (PO’s). Please refer to our Payment Instructions
- Membership documentation is streamlined and outlined in Start a Chapter. Administrators have to complete the Initial Chapter Application and pay the annual membership fee. After that, the only thing needed to renew a membership is to pay the annual fee
- Chapter Advisors must upload a Student Roster and Chapter Bylaws by November 1
- The Chapter Advisor end-of-the-school-year duties and requirements are to fill out and submit the Annual Report form. Advisors also submit their order for NSTEM pins, cords, certificates, etc. 30 days prior to induction and awards ceremonies
- The chapters who wish to be spotlighted can submit information about a program they offer or a project completed by a student. If chosen, the school will be featured in the NSTEM Newsletter and/or social media
Eligibility requirements for college/university members:
NSTEM has established minimum eligibility requirements for student members. The local chapters may increase those requirements if they wish. So consider whether your local chapter wishes to increase and/or add to the NSTEM minimum requirements. Please note that a local chapter may not impose minimum grades or requirements in non-STEM subjects.
A student who has not yet completed the required number of hours of academic curriculum or enrichment activities can join NSTEM as a provisional member for one year. This will allow the student to be a member of NSTEM while completing their hours.
Click here for the minimum requirements established by NSTEM for college/university students.